17 Juni 2007

Midterm fatigue

At UC, people always used to (and probably still do) hail an approaching midterm break with comments like 'it's high time,' or something to that effect. Although I often shared this feeling, I could never help wondering what would happen without the break. The old and venerable Ruperto Carola1, standing firm against such modern hupsafladder2 as breaks in the middle of term (except if there is a real reason, such as Christmas), presented me with the chance to find out.
I don't know whether it is that I have become accustomed to being able to do nothing for at least one in eight weeks as a consequence of being pampered at school and in college, or that I am just lacking the inner fire that is required to push further the boundaries of human knowledge, or that I am just lazy, but I do notice a distinct drop in motivation, after nine weeks' going. I now need to tell myself to sit down and do my homework, even though the homework itself has not become more or less time-consuming, interesting, boring, or enlightening than it was at the beginning of term.
So, apparently, if this small sample (N = 1) can be taken as representative, the welcoming of the midterm breaks at UC was justified on my part.

1Officially, the Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg.
2Dutch readers unfamiliar with the work of Marten Toonder: shame on you. Non-Dutch readers: hupsafladder is a Dutch word coined in the 1970s by Marten Toonder, a Dutch author whose work enjoys high popularity and quotation rates in my family, roughly meaning the opposite of 'old and venerable'.